Last Updated: February 11, 2024, 20:14 IST
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is set to seek a trust vote in the state assembly on February 12.(PTI file)
Ahead of the floor test, Congress shifted its MLAs to Hyderabad. RJD MLAs, on the other hand, have been camping at former deputy chief minister Tejashwi Yadav’s residence since Saturday night
The stage is set for the much-awaited floor test in the Bihar Assembly on February 12, where Chief Minister Nitish Kumar will have to prove his majority following exiting the ‘Mahagathbandhan’ alliance and reuniting with BJP-led NDA.
According to a Hindustan Times report, ahead of the floor test, Congress shifted its MLAs to Hyderabad. RJD MLAs, on the other hand, have been camping at former deputy chief minister Tejashwi Yadav’s residence since Saturday night.
BJP also shifted its MLAs to Maha Bodhi resort in Bodh Gaya some days ago after Nitish Kumar met Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. The BJP, however, said the MLAs were sent to Bodh Gaya resort for training purposes and there was no fear of defection.
Bihar Assembly Floor Test: How Numbers Stack Up
- The are a total of 243 seats in the Bihar Assembly and the majority mark is 122.
- The BJP has 78 seats giving the NDA a comfortable majority of 128.
- CM Nitish Kumar’s party JD(U) has 45, Hindustani Awam Morcha, 4 and one independent MLA Sumit Singh.
- The opposition, on the other hand, has a total of 114 seats with RJD having the highest at 79.
- Congress has 19 seats, CPI(ML) 12, and 2 each with CPI(M) and CPI.
Bihar Assembly Floor Test: Latest Updates
- Five JD(U) MLAs kept off a ‘unity lunch’ event hosted by Bihar minister Shrawan Kumar on Saturday, ahead of Monday’s floor test.
- Following the meeting, JD(U) MLA Gopal Mandal assured the party was in touch with the MLAs who were not in attendance.
- “2-3 MLAs were not present today but they are in touch with us…Koi khela nahi hai…” Gopal Mandal said.
- Bihar Minister and JDU leader Vijay Kumar Chaudhary also said, “2-3 MLAs were not present today but they have informed the party that due to some reasons they could not come today…”
- On the Bihar Assembly floor test tomorrow, Vikassheel Insaan Party Chief Mukesh Sahani said, “The government does not want the youth of Bihar to be employed in good jobs. They have reduced the youth of Bihar to labourers in other states… Mahagathbandhan and NDA are doing their politics. We’ll continue fighting for the people’s rights after whatever is decided tomorrow…”
- Earlier in the day, former Bihar CM and Hindustani Awam Morcha (HAM) leader Jitan Ram Manjhi held a Vidhan Mandal Dal meeting at his residence and said, “Everybody is intact in NDA…Today, everybody holds PM Modi’s leadership in high regard…All MLAs (BJP, JDU, HAM) will be present tomorrow…”
- On the other hand, former Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav is said to host a dinner party at his residence on Sunday evening to plan for the big ‘Khela’ in the Bihar Assembly on Monday.
- All the RJD MLAs along with the Congress and independent MLAs will be attending the dinner event hosted by Tejashwi at his residence