McGregor says he’ll be cleared to spar by April

0
25


Conor McGregor for the first time has given fans some insight into the timetable for his return to the Octagon.

The former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion tweeted Saturday that he will be cleared to return to MMA sparring by April. And after that, McGregor wrote, “a return will be imminent.”

The superstar fighter fractured the tibia and fibula of his left leg against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 on July 10.

“I will be full mixed martial arts sparring by April,” McGregor tweeted. “Easily! By then a return will be imminent. But I must be patient. I will beat this!”

McGregor, 33, lost that bout to Poirier via doctor’s stoppage at the end of the first round. He was then taken to Los Angeles for surgery to repair the broken leg. McGregor has said that he had multiple stress fractures in the leg coming into the Poirier fight and that it was already compromised before he even set foot into the cage.

Upon his comeback, McGregor, the biggest box-office draw in UFC history, expects to challenge whoever is the UFC lightweight champion, he tweeted last week. And that could be Poirier, who goes up against champion Charles Oliveira in the main event of UFC 269 on Dec. 11 in Las Vegas.

“I’m facing whoever the f— has that LW title next,” McGregor wrote Nov. 22. “Deal with it.”

Ireland’s McGregor (22-6) went 0-2 in 2021 against Poirier, including a second-round TKO loss at UFC 257 in January. “The Notorious” has just one victory since 2016, a first-round TKO of Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone at UFC 246 in January 2020. McGregor became the first fighter to hold two UFC titles in two different weight classes concurrently when he knocked out Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 in November 2016.



Source link