LIVE Transfer Talk: Pulisic garnering interest from Liverpool, Barcelona

0
45


The summer transfer window was unlike any other; see all the major deals and check out how we graded the biggest signings. And just because the window is shut until January, that doesn’t mean the rumours won’t keep coming. Here’s the latest gossip and speculation.

TOP STORY: Barca, Liverpool in for Pulisic

Liverpool and Barcelona could battle it out for the signature of Chelsea winger Christian Pulisic, reports El Nacional. Both sides are interested in the United States international, with the Blues said to prefer letting him move to Spain over a Premier League rival.

However, the LaLiga club are not in a financial position to make an offer currently. New boss Xavi Hernandez may be able to make offer in 2023, with a swap deal also potentially on the table, but Barca are looking solely at loans and free transfers.

Chelsea have reportedly asked for more than €50 million if they are to negotiate a move for Pulisic away from Stamford Bridge.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp knows the 23-year-old from his time in charge at Borussia Dortmund and the report claims that he was interested in the winger in 2019 but lost out to Chelsea.

Pulisic has struggled with injuries so far this season, missing the majority of the early part of the season. He picked up an ankle knock in September and with him unable to currently hold down a position in the first team, the Blues are reportedly ready to move him on if clubs match their valuation.

ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (U.S.)
Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

LIVE BLOG

11.00 GMT: Barcelona could miss out on the Champions League knockout rounds after failing to beat Benfica.

play

1:57

Following Barcelona’s scoreless draw against Benfica, ESPN FC’s Ale Moreno explains why fans shouldn’t expect drastic improvement just yet.

10.23 GMT: Chelsea duo Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner have emerged as alternatives to Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling for Barcelona in January, sources have confirmed to ESPN.

Barca’s ability to make any signings mid-season will be dependent on them being able to free up some money, so they are scouring the market for players that could arrive on loan at first.

Sources told ESPN the club will target players that are not playing regularly elsewhere. They are prepared to include an option to make any deal permanent but don’t want it to be obligatory.

Barca explored the option of signing Sterling last summer and would be keen to revisit the option in January. However, the cost of any operation and City’s reluctance to let the England forward leave without an obligation for Barca to buy next summer makes any deal complicated.

Ziyech and Werner, therefore, have emerged as alternatives. The competition for places at Chelsea has seen them pushed to the fringes of Thomas Tuchel’s plans. Sources have told ESPN that Barca have asked about the availability of both players.

09.45 GMT: Olympiakos wonderkid Aguibou Camara has caught the eye of Liverpool, Leicester and Newcastle, says The Sun.

Camara, 20, has five goals and two assists in 17 appearances since he made the move from Lille in the summer and has impressed with his performances.

The Guinea international midfielder could move to the Premier League in the coming months, but his transfer is likely to cost around €25m.

09.17 GMT: Barcelona are focusing on recovering their injured players and not on potential winter reinforcements, says club football director Mateu Alemany.

Barca’s team have been plagued by injuries this season. Speaking after Tuesday’s 0-0 draw against Benfica in the Champions League, Alemany said: “We need to be optimistic and hope that all our injured players return as soon as possible. It’s a merit that we are holding out considering the number of injured forwards we have with [Sergio] Aguero, Ansu [Fati], [Ousmane] Dembele and [Martin] Braithwaite. We have recovered Dembele and we hope to soon have back Ansu. A reinforcement in January? Our thoughts right now are to recover our players.”

08.53 GMT: Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe wants to make Atletico Madrid defender Kieran Trippier one of his first signings for the club in the January transfer window, the Daily Mirror reports.

Trippier, 31, had been a target for Manchester United in the summer, but now Newcastle could be the England international’s next destination if Newcastle are willing to pay the £30m transfer fee that Atletico are after.

Since leaving Tottenahm Hotspur in 2019, Trippier has settled well in Madrid and helped them become LaLiga champions last season.

08.00 GMT: Manchester United have held discussions with former Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde about the possibility of becoming interim manager, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.

United began their search for a short-term appointment to take the team until the end of the season on Sunday after dismissing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Valverde, who led Barca to LaLiga titles in 2018 and 2019 before leaving in January 2020, is one of the names in the frame along with former Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre and ex-RB Leipzig coach Ralf Rangnick.

Rangnick, now working at Lokomotiv Moscow, has privately distanced himself from the job, but initial talks have been held with Valverde.

After Solskjaer’s departure, Michael Carrick was put in charge temporarily, and despite his winning his first game 2-0 against Villarreal on Tuesday, sources have told ESPN that the club remain committed to bringing in someone else between now and the summer.

Sources have told ESPN that Mauricio Pochettino is United’s top target as the club’s next permanent appointment, but the former Tottenham Hotspur boss is under contract with Paris Saint-Germain until 2023 after signing an extension in the summer.

– Ogden: Man United’s options for next manager

play

0:49

Thiago Alcantara insists that he has paid no attention to rumours linking the midfielder with a return to Barcelona.

PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)

Real Madrid are interested in Manchester City loanee Pedro Porro, reports Mundo Deportivo. The 22-year-old is on a two-season loan spell at Portuguese side Sporting CP and he has reportedly impressed the Blancos hierarchy. However, Sporting reportedly have an option in their deal to make the loan move permanent.

Atletico Madrid are one of a number of sides weighing up a move for Benfica striker Darwin Nunez. According to Calciomercato, the Uruguay international is set to be a key figure in next summer’s transfer window, with LaLiga club Atletico paying particular attention to the 22-year-old.

– Chelsea have set a valuation of £14m to move on midfielder Ross Barkley in January, says journalist Ekrem Konur. The 27-year-old is believed to be free to leave the club in the upcoming months, with Newcastle, Leeds and Burnley all reportedly interested in a transfer for the playmaker.

Manchester United are eyeing a free transfer in the shape of Barcelona player Ousmane Dembele, according to El Nacional. The winger is out of contract at the end of the season and is free to negotiate deals with clubs abroad in January.

– Liverpool, Leicester and Newcastle are monitoring Olympiakos wonderkid Aguibou Camara, reports the Sun. The 20-year-old has impressed for the Greek side since his move from Lille, with the versatile midfielder providing a useful option in various positions.





Source link