With most of the major European seasons now complete, the rumour mill has been sent into overdrive as clubs ponder their moves ahead of what will be a busy transfer window. Check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Mbappe, Ronaldo moves could be linked
The first domino could be set to fall in this summer transfer window as Gazzetta dello Sport reports that Kylian Mbappe to Real Madrid would spark a Cristiano Ronaldo move to Paris Saint-Germain while Mauro Icardi would head to Juventus.
The report says Mbappe is a priority for new Real boss Carlo Ancelotti. The 22-year-old is out of contract next summer and could leave despite the Parisians reportedly offering a new deal. However, a large fee would still be required to secure the deal.
Should the move go through, PSG are said to be ready to make a move for Ronaldo as a replacement. The 36-year-old is believed to want a move away from Turin following a tough season, and returning manager Massimiliano Allegri has not waved away the possibility of him leaving with just one year left on his current deal.
An exit for the Portugal captain could trigger another transfer, seeing Icardi make the reverse switch to Juventus. The 28-year-old was linked with a move to the Bianconeri when he was in Serie A with Internazionale. Icardi was involved in 11 goals over 20 Ligue 1 appearances this season, struggling with sporadic injuries and criticised following his side’s Champions League exit.
15.46 BST: Atletico Madrid striker Alvaro Morata has said he’s “calm” with his future to be decided in the next few days.
Juventus — with the option to buy the forward, extend his loan by another year, or return him to Atletico — look set to choose the loan option after new boss Massimiliano Allegri gave his approval.
“I’ll play where I’m wanted most,” Morata told El Transistor on Wednesday night. “I’m calm because I’m really happy in Madrid at Atleti and at Juve I feel at home too. I’m happy in Turin, of course I’d like to stay, but I’ll play where I’m wanted most.”
14.59 BST: Tottenham chairman Daniel Levey will have pulled off a real masterstroke if he succeeds with his talks over hiring Antonio Conte as the club’s new manager (see 10.39 BST) and that appointment convinces Harry Kane remain at the club.
Gab and Juls debate whether Antonio Conte would be suited for Tottenham if he comes in as manager.
14.12 BST: Bernardo Silva could be made available for transfer this summer as Manchester City look to raise funds to overhaul their squad, according to the Daily Telegraph.
The midfielder has four years to run on his contract at City, for whom he has played more than 200 times since arriving in a £43m deal from Monaco in 2017.
However, the Telegraph reports that Champions League-level clubs in Spain, France and Italy are monitoring the 26-year-old’s situation and could be prepared to make a move this summer.
Bernardo Silva will be representing Portugal at Euro 2020, and a good tournament could help City attract interest in him.
13.27 BST: Atletico Madrid’s summer transfer plans revolve around Saul Niguez, Marca reports.
The newspaper calls the midfielder “the key to the market” for Atletico as they need “a big transfer” to be able to strengthen the squad.
According to Marca, Saul has decided to move on after a difficult season personally, despite Atletico’s La Liga title win, and the club would be willing to accept an “important” offer for the 26-year-old.
12.34 BST: Real Madrid have announced that Lucas Vazquez has signed a three-year contract extension, keeping him at the club until 2024.
Vazquez, 29, was one of a trio of first-team players — alongside Sergio Ramos and Luka Modric — whose deals were due to expire this summer, with the Ramos situation yet to be resolved.
The Real Madrid youth product had been linked with both Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain in the Spanish press this season.
Vazquez played an important role in the team this year, making 24 La Liga appearances as he filled in for long-term absentee Dani Carvajal at right-back, before a knee injury ended his own season in April.
He became a first-team regular in 2015 and had frequently stated his desire to continue at the Bernabeu if an agreement could be reached.
— Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadrid) June 3, 2021
11.58 BST: Romelu Lukaku has said he will remain at Inter Milan next season after the Belgium forward helped them to their first Serie A title in 11 years.
The 28-year-old has a contract at Inter until June 2024 but has been linked with a move away from San Siro, with Champions League winners Chelsea reportedly in the running to sign him this summer. Inter are set to transfer players out as part of cost-cutting efforts to cope with the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. But when asked about his future, Lukaku told broadcaster VTM: “Yes, I am staying. I feel good at Inter.”
Antonio Conte left his managerial role at Inter just three weeks after guiding them to the title and Lukaku said he had already been in contact with his replacement.
“I’ve already had contact with the man who normally becomes our new manager,” Lukaku added. “Maybe I shouldn’t say that yet but it was a very positive conversation. There’s also the challenge of doing it again [winning the league].”
11.12 BST: Crystal Palace have announced that striker Christian Benteke has signed a two-year contract extension, committing him to the club until 2023.
In his five years since joining the Eagles from Liverpool in a £27m transfer, Benteke has scored 31 goals in 135 Premier League appearances.
The 30-year-old, who has joined up with the Belgium squad ahead of their Euro 2020 campaign, ended the 2020-21 season with a goal in each of his last four games.
𝗖𝗕 𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗬𝗦 👊
— Crystal Palace F.C. (@CPFC) June 3, 2021
10.39 BST: Tottenham Hotspur are in talks with Antonio Conte over their vacant manager’s position with Harry Kane‘s future among the key topics of discussion, sources have told ESPN’s James Olley.
Spurs have been forced to look at alternative targets after ending their interest in former head coach Mauricio Pochettino. Paris Saint-Germain have triggered a one-year extension in his contract tying him to the club until 2023 but in any case, sources have told ESPN that Pochettino has not shown any firm willingness to leave and instead has been discussing transfer targets for next season with the Ligue 1 club’s hierarchy.
Conte left Inter Milan after guiding them to their 19th Serie A title last season and, significantly, is therefore available without requiring Spurs to pay any compensation. Inter named ex-Lazio boss Simone Inzaghi as Conte’s successor on Thursday.
Talks are said to be progressing well with chairman Daniel Levy keen to resolve the managerial situation before turning his attention to the future of Kane, who has asked to leave the club. It remains to be seen whether Conte’s possible appointment is enough to convince Kane to change his mind, although Spurs are reluctant to sell in any case given his importance to the team and the fact he has three years remaining on his current £200,000-a-week contract.
Kane’s future has been one key subject of discussion during negotiations with Conte. Reports in Italy also suggesting the two parties are still some way apart over Conte’s wage demands.
09.46 BST: Brighton Hove & Albion have doubled their offer to sign Independiente starlet Alan Velasco, according to TyC Sports.
The Premier League club has now offered a transfer fee of $10m after their initial bid for the Argentinian teenager was rejected by Independiente. The latest offer is still short of his $23.5m release clause is set at $23.5m, although Independiente are reportedly willing to accept $15m.
Velasco has made 17 appearances for the Argentinian club this season and is considered a rising star. The 18-year-old, who joined the club in 2012, extended his contract with Independiente last year until 2023.
09.00 BST: Carlo Ancelotti said at his presentation as Real Madrid’s new coach that he had “zero doubts” about returning to the Bernabeu but hinted that he may have to accept the departure of captain Sergio Ramos, saying “I never imagined a Real Madrid without Ancelotti, and it happened.”
The Spanish newspapers are full of speculation about Ancelotti’s plans at as the new coach gets to work this morning assessing his squad. Ancelotti said during his presentation on Wednesday that “we’ll have to reduce the squad” and suggested he might have to accept Ramos’ exit, but backed players such as Eden Hazard, Gareth Bale and Isco — having coached the last two in his previous spell — to make an impact next season.
The Ramos situation may be impossible to resolve, with Diario AS claiming there’s a “total divorce” between the player and coach Florentino Perez, with their relationship damaged by the captain’s attempts to leave in 2015 and 2019.
Playmaker Isco is “excited” about Ancelotti’s arrival, sources close to the player told AS, and had been waiting on a new coach before deciding his future, although “right now, Isco has no offers to leave.”
Isco had been a peripheral figure under Ancelotti’s predecessor Zinedine Zidane and with a year left on his contract, had been expected to leave this summer.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)
– Manchester City are preparing for life without Sergio Aguero, and in the search for a replacement, interest has moved to Andre Silva. According to Bild, Pep Guardiola is looking at the Eintracht Frankfurt forward to bolster his ranks this summer, though they may have to battle with Atletico Madrid to land him. The 25-year-old scored an impressive 28 goals in 32 Bundesliga appearances last season, justifying a reported €40m valuation from his side.
– Aston Villa are looking to add to their goal-scoring ranks this summer by adding experienced striker Chris Wood, according to Football Insider. The 29-year-old is reportedly on the radar of many other Premier League clubs with Burnley adding a £30m valuation to the player to open discussions. The New Zealand international was a standout performer for Sean Dyche this year; he was involved in 15 goals over 33 Premier League appearances.
– Leeds United are eyeing a move for Huesca‘s Javi Galan as they look to improve their options at left-back. According to Football Insider, Marcelo Bielsa’s side have made an approach to the 29-year-old’s representatives. The full-back’s release clause has dropped from £7m to £3.5m, alerting many clubs to him being an option with Leeds hopeful of striking a deal to replace the outgoing Ezgjan Alioski.
– While it looks like a summer of outgoings at Inter, there will be room for some incomings with Odsonne Edouard on the club’s radar. According to Calciomercato, the 23-year-old is of interest to the club, who are aiming to retain the Scudetto next season. The France Under-21 international is out of contract at Celtic in 2022 with a renewal unlikely. AC Milan and Leicester City are two sides who are also interested in the forward.
– Manchester United are plotting a move for Kieran Trippier this summer, with Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane still on their shortlist, according to the Daily Mail. Atletico Madrid are reportedly open to offers for the 30-year-old full-back to improve their current financial situation. United are said to see the England international as competition for Aaron Wan-Bissaka on the right, but face competition from Everton for the player. The club are also working a deal for Sancho and Varane to bring them to Old Trafford with the goal of closing the gap to rivals Manchester City. However, limited funds could be problematic for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s attempt to rebuild.