Amid all the action at the Euros and Copa America, the summer transfer window has opened for some leagues with Europe’s biggest clubs looking to make a splash in the transfer market. Check out the latest gossip below, and see see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Barca to bid for German star Gosens
Gosens — who had a Man of the Match performance against Portugal in Euro 2020 group stage action on Saturday — has impressed so much that the Catalan club have spoken to the 26-year-old’s advisor regarding a move to La Liga.
The player’s Atalanta deal runs until 2023, which the club can extend for a further year. However, according to the report, Atalanta withheld from doing so as they believe they can move him on this summer for upwards of €35 million.
However, Barca may have a battle on their hands to win his signature, with a number of Premier League and Serie A clubs also reportedly looking at the player for a possible move.
Gosens, who had a failed tryout with Borussia Dortmund as a youngster, has mentioned a desire to play in the Bundesliga in the past. He is a fan of Schalke 04, though a move to the club he supports is very unlikely following their relegation to the second division.
The defender, however, is not pushing for a move due to the guarantee of Champions League football next season with Atalanta. There is also the issue of Barcelona’s wage woes, with president Joan Laporta saying the club is a dire position financially.
12.45 BST: AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma has completed his PSG medical in Italy this morning, according to Fabrizio Romano.
Donnarumma, 22, has opted to leave his boyhood club on a free transfer and will reportedly sign a contract until 2026. He is on duty for Italy at Euro 2020, but will be represented as a PSG player in the coming days.
11.58 BST: Any club looking to sign Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele this summer take note: he has been ruled out of Euro 2020 with an injury, the French football federation said on Monday, in a blow to the world champions’ ambitions.
Dembele had come on as a second-half substitute in France’s 1-1 Group F draw against Hungary on Saturday and had an immediate impact on their attack, but limped off with an apparent knee injury.
“Ousmane Dembele had an X-ray at the Budapest hospital on Sunday night,” the FFF said in a statement, without elaborating on the nature of the injury.
11.35 BST: Axel Tuanzebe is set to ask Manchester United for a loan move to ensure he gets first team football next season, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
Tuanzebe is highly rated at Old Trafford but found opportunities hard to come by last season, starting just nine games. The centre-back, who has been capped by England at Under-21 level, is keen to continue his development with a full season out on loan and sources said that clubs in the Premier League and abroad have already registered interest.
The 23-year-old has a contract at Old Trafford until 2022 with the option of a further year.
Tuanzebe starred for United in their 2-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League in October in the absence of captain Harry Maguire, but was forced to wait until January for his first Premier League start of the season. He has usually found himself behind Maguire, Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly in the pecking order under manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
11.10 BST: Liverpool’s Xherdan Shaqiri hasn’t been getting many chances at club level, but for Switzerland at Euro 2020 he’s proving that he would be a great signing this summer.
Steve Nicol says Xherdan Shaqiri’s performances for Switzerland demonstrate he can still play at the highest level.
10.24 BST: Calciomercato says that Fiorentina are resigned to the fact that centre-back Nikola Milenkovic will leave the club this summer.
Milenkovic, 23, has a contract which expires in 2022 but he won’t pen new terms and the Serie A side will move him on for around €18m in the coming months,
Juventus, Manchester United and a host of other top clubs in Europe have shown interest in the Serbia international.
10.02 BST: Atletico Madrid “will let Vitolo decide his future,” Diario AS reports, after the winger played a limited role in their La Liga title win last season.
The 31-year-old winger, signed from Sevilla in a controversial move in 2017, has a year left on his contract but his high salary is “a clear impediment” to finding a new club, according to the newspaper.
Vitolo started just three league games last season, coming off the bench in another seven, and has said that he wants an increased role — but AS says he’s a popular figure at Atletico and the club will “respect his decision” whether he chooses to stay or go.
09.26 BST: Arsenal have reportedly got Eintracht Frankfurt striker Andre Silva on their radar, says The Transfer Window Podcast.
Silva, 25 scored 28 goals in the Bundesliga last season and is reportedly available for around €40m, with Manchester United and City also keen.
The Gunners are looking to move on Alexandre Lacazette, who has been linked with Atletico Madrid and Juventus, and need a replacement up front.
08.51 BST: Belgium captain and Real Madrid star Eden Hazard said his numerous ankle fractures meant it would never be the same as it was 10 years ago but he was determined to prove he could still perform at the highest level at the European Championship.
Hazard, who has struggled for Madrid since arriving for €100m (rising to €160m with add-ons) from Chelsea in 2019, will start for the first time in Euro 2020 in his country’s last Group B match against Finland in St. Petersburg on Monday, his coach Roberto Martinez confirmed. But the 28-year-old attacker said he might not be ready to compete the full 90 minutes.
“I never doubted my qualities, but whether I would be 100% fit for the European Championship was going to be a question. I broke my ankle three times, it will never be the same as 10 years ago. But I know that when I am in shape, that I can prove myself on the field and that’s what I’m working on now.
“I’m not 100% yet, but I’m ready to start. But that was the plan, to bring me along gradually. It’s especially important to be completely fit in the knockout phase. Then I have to be in top shape.”
08.30 BST: Paulinho has left eight-time Chinese Super League winners Guangzhou FC after the ex-Barcelona midfielder’s contract was terminated by mutual consent.
Guangzhou said on Sunday that Paulinho’s relationship with the club had been ended two years early due to complications caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and travel restrictions, Paulinho has been unable to join up with the club and fulfil the contract,” the club said in a statement. “After a friendly consultation, the club and the player decided to terminate the contract.”
Gab Marcotti examines Raphael Varane’s situation at Real Madrid as reports link the defender to Manchester United.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)
– Following on from previous reports stating Manchester United are ready to begin talks with Raphael Varane, Marca says that Paris Saint-Germain have also joined the race for the Real Madrid defender’s signature. The 28-year-old’s contract only runs until 2022, meaning Madrid will look to move him on should he refuse to sign a new deal. Real are said to be willing to listen to offers in the €50m region so as to not lose the France international on a free transfer next year.
– Jose Mourinho could be reunited with Sergio Ramos this summer as Calciomercato reports the new AS Roma boss wants to bring the defender to the Italian capital. The 35-year-old spent 16-years at Real Madrid, recently announcing his departure from the club as his contract expires this summer. Mourinho and Ramos’s paths crossed in Madrid from 2010 to 2013, where they won La Liga, the Copa del Rey and the Spanish Super Cup. For Roma there are both obstacles and opportunity in striking a deal with Ramos, mainly not meeting the defender’s ambition in Europe.
– Arsenal are frontrunners in the race for Real Betis midfielder Guido Rodriguez, according to Marca. The 27-year-old has impressed in La Liga, missing just three games, and continues to shine in the Copa America with Argentina. Rodriguez scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Uruguay with an assist from Lionel Messi. Betis are said to have a release clause in the player’s contract that exceeds €80m and with three more years left on his deal, the club are unlikely to let him go for anything less than that.
– In more Arsenal related transfer news, the club are interested in Everton‘s Jonjoe Kenny and Lille‘s Zeki Celik as potential replacements for the outgoing Hector Bellerin. According to the Daily Mail, the Gunners are working hard to secure another right-back if Bellerin departs, despite having cover in Calum Chambers and Cedric Soares. Kenny and Celik, both 24, are both seen as potential signings with a move for Brighton & Hove Albion‘s Tariq Lamptey and Norwich City‘s Max Aarons unlikely due to the club’s respective valuation of the players.
– Following an impressive few games at Euro 2020 for Italy, Manuel Locatelli is on the agenda of a few clubs. with Juventus most keen to make a move. According to Gazzetta dello Sport, the 23-year-old is wanted by Massimiliano Allegri with an offer of €30m plus two players making the switch to Sassuolo on the table. There are four names stated in a possible move the other way, all of which are academy products. Those mentioned are defender Radu Dragusin, midfielder Hamza Rafia, striker Marco Da Graca, and forward Felix Correia.