The summer transfer window was unlike any other; see all the major deals and check out how we graded the biggest signings. And just because the window is shut until January, that doesn’t mean the rumours won’t keep coming. Here is the latest gossip and speculation.
TOP STORY: Barca create shortlist to bolster midfield
Koeman wants a box-to-box player, providing an attacking threat and fighting spirit, who can complement Pedri and Frenkie de Jong in the middle. Ilaix Moriba left for RB Leipzig in the summer window, and even though Gavi has broken into the team this season it’s suggested that the Blaugrana have four midfield targets.
Tanguy Ndombele has failed to hold down a place at Tottenham Hotspur and offered himself to Barca during the summer. Then there is Inter Milan‘s Marcelo Brozovic and AC Milan‘s Franck Kessie, who are both out of contract at the end of the season.
While Donny van de Beek doesn’t necessarily fit the profile of a more physical midfielder, Barcelona are also showing an interest in a player who has struggled since moving to Manchester United in 2020, managing just 141 minutes in all competitions so far this term.
09.30 BST: A remarkable story in the Daly Telegraph suggests Newcastle United will have £190m to spend in the January transfer window, following their Saudi Arabian takeover this week.
The paper reckons than financial fair play restrictions which not be such a worry “thanks to the parsimonious spending of former owner Mike Ashley.”
Newcastle have made a profit of £38m over the last three years, giving Newcastle £190m to spend within FFP limits.
However, it is thought the new owners will take stock first rather than plough millions into the team in the winter window.
– Juventus will look to move for AS Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni in January, with the aim being to find new homes for Aaron Ramsey and Weston McKennie in order to facilitate the move, reports Calciomercato The Old Lady have long been linked with the France international, and seeing him in UEFA Nations League action against Belgium hasn’t dampened their interest. While McKennie has been linked with Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United, Juve could attempt to include him as part of a swap deal for the 21-year-old.
– AS Roma have a plan to sign Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria during the January transfer window, according to Calciomercato. Jose Mourinho feels he is missing a powerful midfielder after failing to land Arsenal’s Granit Xhaka during the summer, with his fellow Switzerland international deemed the perfect alternative.
– Bayern Munich winger Serge Gnabry is expected to soon sign a contract extension with the Bundesliga champions, according to Fabrizio Romano, who states that the Germany international has a verbal agreement at the final stages and it will only be a matter of time before the paperwork is completed.
– Two key men for Lazio, striker Ciro Immobile and Francesco Acerbi, have signed new contracts with the club, according to Calciomercato. Immobile has reportedly signed to stay until 2026, while Acerbi’s deal runs until 2025, which will keep them with the club until they are 36 and 37 years old, respectively.
– Manchester United could recall Facundo Pellistri from his loan deal with Alaves due to a lack of game time, as reported by Goal. The 19-year-old has made just one LaLiga start and is yet to reach 200 minutes this term, which has caused frustration due to other clubs, including Club Brugge, having shown interest in signing the Uruguayan on loan in the summer. If he does return, the Red Devils could either loan him out again to a more suitable club.