Gov. DeSantis vows to investigate cause of the deadly Fla. condo building collapse

0
143


Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks during a briefing near the Champlain Towers South condo building, where scores of victims remain missing more than a week after it partially collapsed, Saturday, July 3, 2021, in Surfside, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 7:07 AM PT – Wednesday, July 8, 2021

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) vowed to investigate the cause of the deadly condo building collapse, but said it may still be too soon to reexamine other high-rise buildings. State officials are determined to ensure the Surfside condo collapse remains a one-time occurrence.

During an interview Wednesday, reporters asked Gov. Ron DeSantis whether older structures across the state need to be reexamined and recertified. He said based on conversations with experts, the recent collapse may have been an isolated issue.

“I think this building had problems from the start, let’s just put it that way,” stated the governor. “And so, we’ll see when we need to do that, but  I wouldn’t jump to conclusions about it.”

Last week, the city manager of North Miami Beach ordered an audit of structures built more than 40 years ago, ensuring they abide by local safety codes and recertification mandates. Additionally, about 300 residents of another nearby condo were unexpectedly ordered to evacuate their homes Friday, in turn, leaving many of them homeless and in distress.

After an inspection carried out by the same engineer who suggested the evacuation, that building has been deemed “safe for occupancy.” DeSantis has promised to act immediately should any other investigation find problems with other buildings.

MORE NEWS: President Of Mexico Delivers Remarks Following Assassination Of President Of Haiti





Source link