Curated By: Nibandh Vinod
Last Updated: September 14, 2023, 12:20 IST
National Engineers’ Day is celebrated on September 15 every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Dr Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya, one of the greatest engineers of India. He was born on September 15, 1861, and is widely regarded as a pioneering engineer and statesman who made significant contributions to the development of India. Visvesvaraya was a civil engineer, statesman, and philanthropist who made significant contributions to the development of the country. He is credited with designing and building several iconic structures, including the Krishna Raja Sagara Dam, the Mysore Palace, and the Bangalore Water Supply Scheme.
National Engineers’ Day 2023: History and Significance
The government first declared September 15 as Engineers’ Day in 1968. The day is celebrated by engineers across India to honour Visvesvaraya’s legacy and to recognize the contributions of all engineers to society. It is a day to celebrate the ingenuity and creativity of engineers. It is also a day to recognize the importance of engineering in our society. By celebrating National Engineers’ Day, we can show our appreciation for the engineers who make our lives better.
NATIONAL ENGINEERS’ DAY 2023: FACTS ABOUT VISVESVARAYA
- He was the chief engineer responsible for the construction of the Krishna Raja Sagara Dam in Mysore, which helped in irrigation and power generation.
- Visvesvaraya received numerous honours, including the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, in 1955.
- He served as the Diwan of Mysore from 1912 to 1918 and made significant administrative reforms in the state.
NATIONAL ENGINEERS’ DAY: INTERESTING FACTS
- National Engineers’ Day is celebrated in India, Sri Lanka, and Tanzania.
- The theme for National Engineers’ Day 2023 is “Engineering for a Sustainable Future.”
- There are over 2 million engineers registered with the Institution of Engineers (India).
- India is one of the top producers of engineers in the world.
- Engineers play a vital role in India’s economy, contributing to sectors such as infrastructure, manufacturing, and technology.
NATIONAL ENGINEERS’ DAY 2023: QUOTES BY M VISVESVARAYA
- “Remember, your work may be only to sweep a railway crossing, but it is your duty to keep it so clean that no other crossing in the world is as clean as yours.”
- “We require science, technology, and innovation to transform our country and improve the lives of our people.”
NATIONAL ENGINEERS’ DAY 2023: QUOTES ABOUT ENGINEERS
- Engineering is the application of science to the practical problems of life. – Henry Petroski
- Engineers are the problem solvers of the world. – Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Engineering is the art of making what is difficult easy.” – Thomas Alva Edison
- Engineers are the architects of modern life. – Stephen Hawking
- Engineering is the application of creative intelligence to the needs of mankind. – Theodore von Karman
HOW TO CELEBRATE NATIONAL ENGINEERS’ DAY
- Organize Seminars and Workshops
Universities, engineering colleges, and professional organizations often organize seminars, workshops, and lectures to celebrate the day. These events can focus on the latest developments in engineering and technology.
- Engineering Competitions
Host engineering-related competitions or quizzes to engage students and professionals and test their knowledge and skills.
- Awards and Recognitions
Recognize outstanding engineers and their contributions to society. Many institutions present awards on this day to honour exceptional engineers.
- Educational Outreach
Promote engineering education and careers by visiting schools and colleges to inspire young minds to pursue engineering as a profession.
- Engineering Projects and Exhibitions
Showcase engineering projects and innovations that have had a significant impact on society. This can help raise awareness of the importance of engineering.
- Social Media Campaigns
Use social media platforms to share information about engineers’ achievements and contributions. Encourage people to share their engineering stories and experiences.
- Networking Events
Arrange gatherings or networking events for engineers to connect and exchange ideas and experiences.
- Promote Sustainability
Highlight the role of engineers in sustainable development and eco-friendly technologies.
- Engineering Challenges
Organize engineering challenges or hackathons where participants can work on real-world engineering problems.